Your roof is one of the most important pieces of your home. It protects you and your belongings and ensures the longevity of your house. One of the most common sources of roof damage are hail storms. Hail damage can cause long term problems if it is not found and corrected.
What does hail damage look like?
- Damaged Shingles. Hail can cause cracks on the edges of your shingles. These cracks often radiate out from an initial point of impact.
- Missing Shingles. You will want to look for an uneven shingle pattern or an area of exposed roof. You may even find shingles on the ground.
- Granular Loss. You may notice the granules on the ground around your house or in your gutters. The loss of these granules can shorten the life of your shingles.
- Fractured Underlayment. Unfortunately, these fractures are not easily discernible and will become more noticeable in the future as they cause shingles to tear and crack.
- Large Hailstone Damage. Your roof may have a soft spot or a hole caused by a large stone.
Hailstones can vary in size and most do not have smooth edges, so the damage they cause can be varied. It is wise to check your roof after any big storm, looking for the damage we listed above. It is also a great idea to check vent pipes, flashing, and chimney caps for dents and damage.
If you notice hail damage or have experienced a hailstorm, give us a call at Freedom Roofing, Windows and Siding LLC. We can complete a quick assessment of your roof and help you determine the best steps to take to repair the hail damage or replace your roof so that your home is protected and safe.