STORM RESTORATION IN
Home insurance specialists
Many factors go into determining if your home has sustained hail damage. The professionals at Freedom Roofing, Windows and Siding will thoroughly inspect the exterior of your Oak Harbor property to determine if you have sustained damage, and advise whether or not there is enough to file an insurance claim.
The storm in June 2023 affected substantial areas of Oak Harbor, and if your neighbors are enjoying new roofs, windows, and siding, it may seem like a given that your home has damage too. However, a variety of factors can impact this, including:
- The speed and direction of the wind
- The size of the hail
- Natural barriers such as tree coverage and landscaping
- The pitch of your roof
- The age and type of materials used on your home
Freedom is on-hand to help you navigate what can be a confusing and sometimes overwhelming process. We offer completely free inspections and assessments, and do not require any commitment up-front.
We begin with an initial ground inspection, looking for:
- Siding damage: dents are common in aluminum siding, whereas vinyl siding will have significant cracks if subjected to hail damage
- Window wraps/sills: if your windows are wrapped with aluminum, there may be dings or dents from hail
- Decks/porches: we check for chipped paint, impacts on vinyl railings, and dents on any aluminum-wrapped posts.
- Gutters and downspouts: if your home has been subjected to hail, gutters and downspouts will typically show dents
- Window screens: if new tears have appeared in your screens since the storm, it’s a likely sign of hail
- Air conditioning units: check for dents to cover and fins
The main characteristics of hail damage to asphalt shingles that we look for include:
- Random damage with a consistent pattern
- Hits that are black in color
- Loss of the granules on the shingle, that may also expose fiberglass mat or roof underlayment
- Hits that are softer to the touch than unaffected areas
- Dents to box vents, flashing, and flue vent caps
- The amount of hail hits on each slope of your home
It is important to have a professional inspect for this type of damage, as other types of damage or wear & tear could be mistaken for hail to the untrained eye, such as:
- Blistered shingles
- Cracked shingles due to age
- Algae or moss
- Granular loss
- Mechanical damage
If we determine your home has been impacted by hail, we will discuss the extent of the areas affected, and advise you to file a claim with your insurance company.
Your insurance company will schedule a time for an adjuster to come to your home and inspect for damage. They will then submit their findings to a desk adjuster at your insurance company, who will produce a ‘loss report’ detailing what they have found and what they are willing to cover. You typically receive this within 1-2 weeks, but all companies vary.
If you believe you may have hail damage, complete the form below and one of our professionals will reach out to schedule a free inspection: